Efficient Stove Design, Pleasant Hill, KY
The Meeting House at Pleasant Hill (1820) is one of the largest among the western communities (60 feet long by 44 feet wide). It has 2.5 stories and a gable roof—a departure from the gambrel roof required for the early eastern meeting houses. This type of woodburning stove (replica) was used in place of a fireplace in the Meeting House, dwelling structures, and other locations. Its double chamber and tall stovepipe radiated more heat than a fireplace. Note the closely spaced pegs on the wall to accommodate the Shakers’ outer garments and other items during their meetings.