Trustees' Office, Pleasant Hill, KY
The Trustees’ Office at Pleasant Hill (1839-41) features a typical Federal-period fanlight and dormers. In this building, the community’s trustees were the link with the outside world. Visitors could eat and sleep here, and business transactions that involved the community were conducted in this building. Because of its public function, this building had to present a prosperous appearance, which distinguished it from the more functional-appearing structures where most Shakers lived and worked.